zfs/nfs mkstemp() failure & subsequent hangs

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Fri Nov 20 12:29:49 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I have a 8.0-PRERELEASE zfs/nfs server here that complains about i/o
errors when using rsync on a nfs client:

rsync: mkstemp
"/usr/portage/metadata/cache/app-mobilephone/.ksms-0.1.2.4.BynVFw" failed:
Input/output error (5)

I found this to be quite similar to kern/135412. However, this one
is said to be fixed and only applicable to 7-stable anyway.
Furthermore, after this happened, I tried to access files on the server
from the zfs filesystem concerned and found that I cannot access the fs
anymore. ls hangs in state zfs, so do mountd and zfs unmount.

Questions:
Should I open a new PR for this?
Are there any ideas how to recover access to the fs apart from rebooting
the machine? Right now I still have it running, so I could get some more
debugging information out of it.

cu
  Gerrit