V8.x-PRE2 Serious PUC problem - Heads Up!

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Fri Nov 20 08:11:01 UTC 2009

Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> wrote:
> ... the uart driver is BROKEN.
>
> It simply locks up on the port after some period of time,
> returning nothing.  I have found no way to reset the port
> other than a reboot either ...

Welcome to the distant past.  I'll be interested to see what
the root cause turns out to be.

I've seen the same symptoms on:

* A Sun-3/50 running SunOS 4.1.1_U1, using ttyb;

* A Sun Ultra 2 running (IIRC) Solaris 2.5,
  using an Aurora multi-port S-Bus card;

* A Sun Ultra 10, using an Aurora multi-port PCI card.

The Suns were using Aurora drivers.  I was never able to get one of
those systems' ttya or ttyb (using Sun drivers, of course) to hang
that way.