V8.x-PRE2 Serious PUC problem - Heads Up!

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Thu Nov 19 13:57:41 UTC 2009

At 08:53 AM 11/19/2009, Karl Denninger wrote:

>I will update as I have more information - this is a serious issue for
>anyone who needs working serial ports on multiport cards under FreeBSD
>for things like a fax server..... this is not the sort of "surprise" one
>wants to see!

Its not the puc per se as the transition from sio to uart

from /usr/src/UPDATING

20080713:
         The sio(4) driver has been removed from the i386 and amd64
         kernel configuration files. This means uart(4) is now the
         default serial port driver on those platforms as well.

         To prevent collisions with the sio(4) driver, the uart(4) driver
         uses different names for its device nodes. This means the
         onboard serial port will now most likely be called "ttyu0"
         instead of "ttyd0". You may need to reconfigure applications to
         use the new device names.

         When using the serial port as a boot console, be sure to update
         /boot/device.hints and /etc/ttys before booting the new kernel.
         If you forget to do so, you can still manually specify the hints
         at the loader prompt:

                 set hint.uart.0.at="isa"
                 set hint.uart.0.port="0x3F8"
                 set hint.uart.0.flags="0x10"