HEADS UP: major CAM ATA MFC

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Thu Nov 19 05:50:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:18:32AM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> > I didn't have this problem.  System has AHCI in use, and the kernel is
> > built to make use of modular atacore.  Specifically:
> >
> > # Modular ATA
> > device          atacore         # Core ATA functionality
> > device          ataisa          # ISA bus support
> > device          atapci          # PCI bus support; only generic chipset support
> > device          ataahci         # AHCI SATA
> > device          ataintel        # Intel
>
> How should STABLE user (not tracking freebsd-current@) learn about CAM ATA configuration?
> There is ahci(4) manual page in 8.0-PRERELEASE but no ada(4) that is linked here.

I don't know.  I'm waiting for someone to actually write documentation
on this.  I keep seeing commits talking about ATA disks via CAM (e.g.
SCSI emulation for ATA disks), but the only thing I'm aware of that
exists is SCSI emulation for ATAPI devices.

> I've just tried "Modular ATA" configuration of Intel ICH7-based system plus "device ahci"
> minus all traditional ata(4) kernel configuration, the kernel builds fine
> but boot messages do not show any attempt to detect my SATA HDD,
> so root mount just fails (I use GEOM UFS labels in my /etc/fstab).
> Typing ? at "mounroot" prompt I see only daX devices standing for my USB cardreader
> and no device for HDD.

This sounds like a different problem.  You may want to talk to mav@
about this.

> It seems I miss ada(4) device and I cannot find it in 8.0 - not ada.ko nor "device ada".

Same.