vnode_pager_putpages error

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Wed Nov 18 01:09:45 UTC 2009

FreeBSD 7.2 amd64. Running Apache httpd application (MPM worker threads) and other applications. ZFS file system.

After some weeks of uptime, we are seeing these errors  repeated many times:

   vnode_pager_putpages: I/O error 69
   vnode_pager_putpages: residual I/O 16384 at 0

After that, httpd dies. On another occasion the entire system rebooted and we are guessing the symptoms are the same, but the console was lost so we can't tell for sure.

* Can sometime tell me where I found out what error 69 means? Is there something in the docs somewhere I can look at?

* My uninformed guess is that this is some sort of swap/memory exhaustion. Could it be a memory leak in httpd (or one of its modules)? Or could ZFS memory exhaustion be the issue here? If so, we'd probably move to 8.0 as soon as possible with all its ZFS improvements.

Any clues to tracking this down would be appreciated. It is a production server and doesn't happen often enough to easily reproduce.

Thanks

Ari Maniatis