FreeBSD 7.x hang-on-boot on Dell 1950

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 21:56:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> fdc0: <floppy drive controller> port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on
>> acpi0
>> fdc0: does not respond
>> device_attach: fdc0 attach returned 6
>>
>> If I boot the machine without ACPI, it seems to stop at the same place
>> (stopping after having checked the ata controller, which checks right
>> before
>> the floppy)
>>
>> If I boot the machine verbose, I get no more information --- it stopps at
>> the same place.
>>

> Can you disable the floppy drive and controller?  There are usually
> separate options on different screens.

I've now verified that 8.0-RC3 does the same thing, BTW.

Anyways... no.  There is no floppy option in the BIOS.  It's not in any of
the sub-menus (which is how Dell's BIOS is organized).  I'm also not-so-sure
that the floppy is where it's stopping because the non-ACPI boot doesn't
mention the floppy at all ... leading me to believe it's whatever is checked
"after" the floppy that is at fault... but even the verbose boot doesn't let
me know what that might be.