8.0RC2 "top" statistics seem broken

Matthew Fleming matthew.fleming at isilon.com
Thu Nov 12 16:42:29 UTC 2009

> > [snip]
> >
> > Load average and %CPU user are right, as are other global
statistics.
> > The load is produced by the "7z" process (archivers/p7zip) which
> > compresses some data in two threads but is credited with 0% CPU,
though
> > its runtime is correct (increments every second as it should in a
> > CPU-bound process). It doesn't help if I expand / show individual
> threads.
>
> I believe this is related to multithreaded processes only. I saw this
for
> intr kernel process. Singlethread processes eat CPU slightly less than
> on 7.2, however, I can not say is it statistic errors or real speedup.
> I saw the issue on SMP/ULE only and can not say anything about UP and
> 4BSD scheduler.

Check out r197652 on stable/7.  I had a similar problem where top was
showing 0% for a CPU hog, but since I was unable to replicate it on
CURRENT (and the ULE accounting code is different between releases) I
only submitted for stable/7.  I think the patch will be easy to apply by
hand, though, to test it.

Thanks,
matthew