SMART

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Nov 12 14:29:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Ivan Voras wrote:
 > Dimitry Andric wrote:
 > > On 2009-11-12 14:35, Ivan Voras wrote:
 > > > I've seen it. But I don't remember if they addressed the problem of
 > > > nonstandard interpretations of statistics?
 > >
 > > Note the statistics you quoted are "Vendor Specific SMART Attributes",
 > > so it is quite logical for different vendors to have different
 > > statistics. :)
 >
 > I see your point :)
 >
 > Though I would hope that a statistics like:
 >
 >   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   087   083   006    Pre-fail Always
 > -       45398197
 >
 > would have an equivalent across vendors :) I know, it's too much to ask :)

True .. but all you really need to know is that as far as your disk
vendor is concerned, your error rate is 87 (somethings), the worst it's
ever been is 83 and if it were nearer 6 somethings, you should worry :)

 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   089   089   000    Old_age Always -       10155

Seagate says you're only 11% on the way to (mean) oblivion .. if you
believe it should run 11.4 years.  We had one 4GB IBM drive that did!

cheers, Ian