problems with gmirror on ggate over slow link

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Nov 3 15:57:40 UTC 2009

Pete French wrote:
 > [...]
 > > Just a wild guess, have you tried to set kern.geom.mirror.timeout to a
 > > higher value?
 >
 > Yes, I tried values all the way up to 600, no effect at all - plus the
 > failure comes way before that timeout value (which is in seconds I assume).

Have you done any sockets tuning?
In an older posting the following values were recommended:

/etc/sysctl.conf:
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=1048576
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=1048576
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2049152

/boot/loader.conf:
kern.ipc.nmbclusters="32768"

Command line options to ggate[cd]:
ggate[dc]_buf_size="1310720"
ggatec_timeout="5"
ggatec_queue_size="2048"

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is over-complicated nonsense. And Bjorn Shoestrap's book
a danger to public health. I tried reading it once, I was in
recovery for months."
        -- Cliff Sarginson