I've borked my ZFS system upgrading to -STABLE

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Wed May 27 21:00:02 UTC 2009

On May 27, 2009, at 11:49 AM, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> In short, I've got a system with /boot on a USB thumb drive that I
> boot
> from, which then mounts root and the rest of the system from a 4-disk
> ZFS storage pool.
>
> However, during the upgrade, something didn't go quite right, and now
> when I boot, I end up with:
>
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found required
> by sh

While I don't have much help to get you fixed, I can tell you how this
likely happened if you did a "make world" or "make installworld" at
one point.

The installworld script is told that /lib/libc.so.x has to have a
"chflags schg" applied to it, making it unchangeable. So when
installing, it deletes the old libc, copies the new libc over, tries
to do a chflags on it, fails because ZFS doesn't support flags, so it
deletes libc and gives up.

libc is the first file that installworld tries to create using schg,
so that's where it fails. The workaround is to do "make installworld
NO_FSCHG=" so that it doesn't bother trying to set flags.

-- Kevin