RELENG_7 - has mergemaster changed logic since 7.2-RELEASE?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 16 23:13:16 UTC 2009

I think I now know what was causing the problem with the files being
overwritten, the saved mtree database was somehow reduced to zero
bytes causing the list of CHANGED files to be empty.

Unfortunately I haven't tracked down the cause of why the mtree file
would get emptied out (given that there is already code that should
prevent that problem) but I have just committed r192230 which adds a
lot of safety belts to the code involving creating and updating the
mtree database, and creating and using the list of files with changes.
It should no longer be possible to even enter the -U code unless there
is both a valid mtree file AND a valid list of files with local
changes. FWIW I've also improved the performance of the -U option by
changing a use of grep for every file to using case.

You should be able to grab the file from HEAD and run it on
RELENG_[67] without any problems. I will MFC it as rapidly as possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Doug