issues with Intel Pro/1000 and 1000baseTX

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Sat May 16 07:25:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 06:01:33PM -0300, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:

> I know this is a bit off, but as I never had CAT6 stuff to deal with here
> it goes. is there any problems in using CAT6 cabling and not 1000baseTX
> capable switch ?
>
> I plan to install cat6 cables and just use 1000baseTX in future. this will
> be my new home network and all I have now is 100baseTX and two 1000baseT
> cards.

There should be no problem at all.  CAT6 must meet higher standards, but
the basic cable design is the same at CAT5, and it works for 100baseTX,
and even for 10baseT (if you really wanted to use it).

When my company relocated to a new building, the entire network was
cabled at CAT6, but we still have some machines and switches that are
100baseTX, and they work fine.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL