issues with Intel Pro/1000 and 1000baseTX

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Fri May 15 01:46:45 UTC 2009

> Well, I don't have any verified working cable of the appropriate length
> so I simply switched out the cables for the main server and the backup
> server. They are both cat6 cables crimped with cat5e modules by me. For
> what reason (bad crimp job?) that seemed to fix the issue.

On stranded cable, it often happens that some wire will swap when you
insert the connector. Remember that to work at gigabit, you need the
four twisted pairs to be properly set: more risks to make a mistake...

I know I prefer to buy my patch cords (stranded cables) ready made,
while I can do the wall wiring (solid cable) by myself.

Bests,

Olivier