32bit filesystem limitations

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 23:01:33 PDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:03 AM, Andrei Kolu <antik at bsd.ee> wrote:

> I forgot to try ZFS on that particular server- maybe that one would be
> better alternative? I have experience with ZFS on terabyte sized volumes and
> had no ill effects so far- what about really large filesystems? I know that
> ZFS is considered experimental.

I've got 1.5T disks in my ZFS server.  I don't boot from them and I havn't
labelled them (added "ad6" and so on to the zfs array).  After hearing that
various fdisk things couldn't see beyond 1.2T, I got to wondering if the
whole disks were being used.  It appears that they are.

Now ZFS on solaris seems to insist that you initialize (ie: use their fdisk)
the disks before adding them to ZFS.  I've also recently added a bunch of
1.5T disks to a Solaris install ... and it seems happy to use the whole
disk, too.