X.org hanging under 7.2-PRERELEASE

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 28 01:55:54 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-28 at 01:34 -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 19:44 -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> > I update -STABLE about once a week. On Wednesday I update, and subsequently
> > started getting hangs and lockups. This happens only when DRI is enabled. When
> > DRI is disabled there is no problem. The seriousness can vary. Sometimes I can
> > ssh in from another machine to reboot, other times I can't. The last time it
> > hung, top showed X.org at 100.0% CPU. The previous time it was stuck with in a
> > "drmwtq" state.  The hang always occurs within twenty minutes of starting X.
>
> Actually, the commits that I might have expected to cause this, haven't
> been MFC'd yet.  You probably did pick up the r6/7xx code in this
> update.  I also made an error in the GART mapping code, but that should
> only effect pci(e) based radeons.
>
> It could also be related to the 6.12.1 ati driver.  AGP mode 4x is
> always suspect as well, you might try reducing that to 2 or 1 and see if
> the problems go away.
>
> As for checking out an earlier release, with csup you just have to
> specify a date that you want to checkout.  See man csup and reference
> the section titled CHECKOUT MODE.

Actually, hanging in drmwtq is usually an indication of the card going
belly up, or of interrupts being trashed.  Make sure that you aren't
getting an interrupt storm on a shared irq with drm/vgapci.  Can you
send me a full dmesg after drm is loaded and an xorg.log.  Without drm,
you really don't use interrupts, so...

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>