support quality (Re: dump | restore fails: unknown tape headertype 1853384566)

Jack L. Stone jacks at sage-american.com
Thu Mar 26 10:07:35 PDT 2009

At 09:32 AM 3.26.2009 -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>At 08:08 AM 3/26/2009, Jack L. Stone wrote:
>
>>Yes, but it's for running a dump on a (L)ive FS and just spits out warnings
>>to that effect and has no effect on solving the problem(s).
>
>Unless the filesystem is very busy, you will get your data backed up.
>If you have things like databases, I still would not trust
>snapshots.  Better to use pg_dump or mysqldump or the app that comes
>with whatever DB you are using... When backing up things like / and
>/usr, I would hazard a guess that most things are not changing while
>the backup is running, at least they dont in my environments.  I have
>never had a problem with things like /home and even /var or /mail
>which are changing quite a bit.  We dont restore much in the course
>of our daily routine, but we have always been able to restore
>people's Maildir when they accidentally have deleted stuff and it all
>worked without issue over the years.
>
>         ---Mike

Yes, we have been using the "L" switch for as long as it has existed
because we have and always before that, backed up live FSes. And, as said
before, we do a dump/restore dump every morning to produce a bootable
clone. The clones have always worked for the many years we have done this.

Indeed, we have always used the MySQL's own dump separately to backup DBs.
But, that's OT.

Jack

(^_^)
Happy trails,