support quality (Re: dump | restore fails: unknown tape headertype 1853384566)

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Thu Mar 26 06:32:13 PDT 2009

At 08:08 AM 3/26/2009, Jack L. Stone wrote:

>Yes, but it's for running a dump on a (L)ive FS and just spits out warnings
>to that effect and has no effect on solving the problem(s).

Unless the filesystem is very busy, you will get your data backed up.
If you have things like databases, I still would not trust
snapshots.  Better to use pg_dump or mysqldump or the app that comes
with whatever DB you are using... When backing up things like / and
/usr, I would hazard a guess that most things are not changing while
the backup is running, at least they dont in my environments.  I have
never had a problem with things like /home and even /var or /mail
which are changing quite a bit.  We dont restore much in the course
of our daily routine, but we have always been able to restore
people's Maildir when they accidentally have deleted stuff and it all
worked without issue over the years.

         ---Mike