32bit filesystem limitations

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 25 07:04:37 PDT 2009

Andrei Kolu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have trouble to create FreeBSD 7.1 i386 partition/slice to 3Ware 8port
> raid kontroller with 8x500GB drives attached to it. Raid 5 massive is
> 3,1TB in size and during sysinstall installation I select whole
> available space but after restart I can access only 1,2TB from it. What
> is the problem?

MS-DOS fdisk partitions and bsdlabel partitions both have 32-bit
limitations on the file system size. You should use gpart to partition
the large volume. That is, except if you want to boot from it also -
then it's a bit problematic; it's best to create two logical drives in
your RAID controller - one small drive for the OS (something like 8 GB
to keep the ports and all) and the rest for the data.