FreeBSD 7.2 Release process starting...

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 19 08:58:41 PDT 2009

On Thursday 19 March 2009 5:34:12 am Robert Watson wrote:
> For me the distinction remains fuzzy, but I think a key to either approach
> would be avoiding having to fully re-QA, do BETAs, build new packages, etc.
> This suggests taking RELENG_6_4 on some date, perhaps rebranching if it's a
> point release, or not if it's an ISO reroll, and bundling it with exactly
the
> same packages we shipped in 6.4 (etc) and bumping a few documentation parts.
> We'd cut a release candidate just to make sure we had the bits right, ask
> people to test install it, etc, but as there would be no new features, we'd
> expect relatively little change. I think I wouldn't even change the proposed
> EoL date of the branch -- 7.x is doing very well, and we need developers to
> focus on getting 8.0 ready to ship.

Actually, a point release shouldn't be a rebranch, it would just be a new tag
on the existing RELENG_6_4 branch.  The only difference in a point release
vs. an errata patch is what you change the release name to
(6.4-RELEASE-p(X+1) vs 6.4.1-RELEASE)) and whether or not you upload bits to
the ftp servers.  If the goal is to generate ISOs that we put up for ftp, I
think it should be a point release, but it would certainly reuse 6.4 packages
(or have no packages).  That is, I think "ISO reroll" == "point release".  I
also think we shouldn't upload things to ftp that aren't actual releases
(that is, I wouldn't upload 6.4-RELEASE-p10 to ftp since we don't upload new
release bits for every security advisory we do).

--
John Baldwin