mergemaster annoyance or not?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Mar 16 03:55:43 PDT 2009

Doug Barton wrote:
 > The attached patch adds a -F option to automatically install files
 > when only the FreeBSD $Ids differ. I've tested this and it seems to do
 > what the people concerned about this issue are asking for.

That seems to be a useful feature.  You need to quote the
dollar signs, though.

However, maybe the best solution is to add a new keyword
for mergemaster.rc, so the user can exactly specify which
kind of changes should be always installed.

So the new -L option (which could still exist as a short-cut)
would be the same as the following line in mergemaster.rc:

AUTO_INSTALL_DIFF='-I[$]FreeBSD:.*[$]'

For example, if someone is not interested in pure white-
space changes and changes to #-style comments, he could
let those be auto-installed thusly:

AUTO_INSTALL_DIFF='-Bb -I#.* -I[$]FreeBSD:.*[$]'

What do you think?

Best regards
   Oliver

"I have stopped reading Stephen King novels.
Now I just read C code instead."
        -- Richard A. O'Keefe