vpn1411 in Laptop (Thinkpad T31)

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:12:57 PDT 2009

Hi,

this might seem like a strange question, but I wonder if there would
be any benefit by using a vpn1411 minipci card to encrypt/decrypt geli
encrypted partitions on the fly. I'm using a Thinkpad T31 with a P4 at
2GHz and playing back HD Videos doesn't work flawlessly from the
encrypted partition. I might use a 2nd HDD connected to the media bay,
but this would mean that I need to copy the data to this disk.
Using a vpn1411 seems like a good option. I don't use the minipci slot
for WLAN (I've a PCMCIA card that I only insert if I need to use it),
so it's free. But I wonder if the traffic to and from the card would
saturate the PCI bus and lead to other problems.

What do you think?

Cheers
Christian Walther