mergemaster annoyance or not?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Mar 12 08:05:51 PDT 2009

This is what I have in my /etc/mergemaster.rc; it will
probably help in your case:

DIFF_FLAG='-Bub'
DIFF_OPTIONS='-I$FreeBSD:.*[$]'
IGNORE_MOTD=yes

The first line causes diff to not display changes that
only affect whitespace.  The second line ignores the CVS
id lines, so that files will compare equal that only differ
in the CVS ids.  The third line lets me keep my motd file
without being asked for it every time.

There are options to keep other files, too, so you might
want to add the master.passwd and group files to that list.
However, sometines a new group or user needs to be created
for proper operation -- that's why I prefer to see those
files whenever they change.

Please refer to the mergemaster(8) manual page for details.
You might also want so set AUTO_INSTALL and AUTO_UPGRADE.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  I think the above options should _not_ be on by
default, because that would be a POLA violation.
Those people who want them can easily add them to their
mergemaster.rc file.

"Perl will consistently give you what you want,
unless what you want is consistency."
        -- Larry Wall