mergemaster annoyance or not?

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 12 06:58:59 PDT 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009 3:22:19 am Doug Barton wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Andrei Kolu wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > As long time FreeBSD user I am concerned about RELEASE and STABLE
> > configuration files inconsistency.
>
> This topic was covered recently, you might want to check the archives.
>
> > -# $FreeBSD: src/etc/rc.d/network_ipv6,v 1.37.18.1 2008/11/25 02:59:29
> > kensmith Exp $
> > +# $FreeBSD: src/etc/rc.d/network_ipv6,v 1.37 2004/10/07 13:55:26 mtm Exp
$

> What you're seeing is an artifact of the way that CVS deals with cutting a
> release. Even though the content of the files is the same, the CVS Id is
> updated in the release branch so that you can track revisions to that file
> that occur within that branch (e.g., RELENG_6_4), as opposed to the
> changes that occur in the parent branch (RELENG_6). This is a feature.

No, it's a bug in our SVN -> CVS importer that when the branch is created in
SVN, all the files get forced checkins on the CVS branch which gratuitously
bumps all the CVS IDs.  Go compare RELENG_6_3 and RELENG_6 (at the time of
the branch) IDs vs what happened with 6.4 and 7.1.  It does create a _lot_ of
noise for later /etc merges.  Probably our SVN -> CVS importer could simply
ignore commits that create a new branch to avoid this problem.

--
John Baldwin