mergemaster annoyance or not?

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Thu Mar 12 01:10:04 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:22:19AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

> What you're seeing is an artifact of the way that CVS deals with cutting a
> release. Even though the content of the files is the same, the CVS Id is
> updated in the release branch so that you can track revisions to that file
> that occur within that branch (e.g., RELENG_6_4), as opposed to the
> changes that occur in the parent branch (RELENG_6). This is a feature.

I think these days we need (by default) /etc/mergemaster.rc filled in
with something like this:

DIFF_OPTIONS='-I$FreeBSD:.*[$] -I$NetBSD:.*[$]'
IGNORE_FILES='/etc/motd'

Else there is lots of annoyance running mergemaster first time
and after each release and there will be lots of questions/complains
about this.

Eugene Grosbein