Panics involving ppp following routing fixes

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 8 04:24:56 PDT 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Ruben van Staveren wrote:

>>> Just a minor heads up: I've merged both Kip Macy's lock order fixes to the
>>> kernel routing code, and the route locking and reference counting fixes
>>> from kern/130652 to stable/7.  These fixes should correct a number of
>>> reported network-related hangs.  We might want to release a subset of
>>> these as an errata patch to 7.1 if they shake out well in 7-stable.
>
> Unfortunately these changes let my system panic during early boot, around
> the time when ppp/routing is started. Backing out these changes prevents the
> panic.
>
> I've filed this with some textdumps as: kern/132404: panic sleeping thread
> after 25th Feb src/sys/net commits

Hi Ruben--

I've had a number of similar reports, but this one contained enough
information for me to (hopefully) track it down.  I've merged a fix from head
as r189531 that corrects lock leak in error-handling in the routing socket
code.  Could you let me know if that helps with the problem?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge