GCC segfaulting while trying to compile latest Qt4 code

Mark Atkinson atkin901 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 6 06:54:18 PST 2009

John Baldwin wrote:
>> I believe superpages were mfc'd to -stable as well.   I have one machine
>> that faults in gcc with this turned on.   You can try adding
>>
>> vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled="0"
>>
>> to /boot/loader.conf, rebooting and see if that fixes the problem.  If
>> so, you might provide the list with your hardware configuration.
>
> Note that superpages is not on by default in 7 the way it is in 8.  BTW,
> can
> you get more details from your actual crash dump?  I'm not sure if there's
> a way you can either add some debug printfs or something else to determine
> what the faulting address that results in the SIGBUS you are seeing?

Ahh, my bad, I didn't realize it defaulted to off.   I'm not having any luck
at diagnosing it further, the stack is so far gone at that point.   Since
no-one else is really seeing my issue at this point, I'm going to wait until
I have some different, slower memory to try.    For now, disabling
superpages works well.

If Ashish is still having issues, I've seen this sort of thing with runtime
library problems.   Bad libmap entries and disk corruption can cause this.
If you can complete a buildworld, a fresh buildworld and installworld with
make delete-old might solve your compilation problems.    If qt depends on
the gcc in ports, you may have to rebuild that one as well afterwards.

--
Mark Atkinson
atkin901 at yahoo.com
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);