"Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode" on 7.1/amd64, but not 7.0

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 6 02:21:01 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 19:55 -0500, Boris Kochergin wrote:
> Ahoy. I recently upgraded an amd64 machine to 7.1-RELEASE, and started
> getting a bunch of these at a pretty high frequency (a few hours to a
> day apart):
>
> http://acm.poly.edu/~spawk/IMG00033.jpg
>
> The "current process" is always httpd. They're particularly annoying
> because the machine doesn't actually ever reboot, requiring manual
> intervention. Reverting the kernel back to 7.0 makes the panic go away,
> and the machine had been happily running 7.0 for about a year
> beforehand. I realize that the photo hardly contains any useful
> debugging information, but I was hoping it might look familiar to
> someone. If not, I guess I'll come back with a backtrace.

A backtrace will almost certainly be necessary to figure out what this
issue is, although there is a possibility that the output of
"addr2line -e /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols 0x8:0xffffffff802d7010"
might help, assuming you've not recompiled your kernel yet.  (That
number should be the same as the "instruction pointer" shown by the
panic, but as the photo is quite blurred there's a chance I've got it
wrong, if you have a better picture of it or wrote it down then use
that)

Gavin