GCC segfaulting while trying to compile latest Qt4 code

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 5 12:40:46 PST 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 11:48:11 am Mark Atkinson wrote:
> Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
>
> > Daniel O'Connor writes:

> >> I would not rule out a hardware problem - seg faults while compiling
> >> heavy code (ie big C++ projects :) can be indicative of
> >> memory/CPU/PSU/motherboard problems.
> >
> > Okay, but I even tried compiling that file manually and that also
> > resulted in segfault.
> >
> >> I'd suggest running memtest86 and prime95 for a few hours if you can.
> >
> > I'll try running memtest86.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I believe superpages were mfc'd to -stable as well.   I have one machine
> that faults in gcc with this turned on.   You can try adding
>
> vm.pmap.pg_ps_enabled="0"
>
> to /boot/loader.conf, rebooting and see if that fixes the problem.  If so,
> you might provide the list with your hardware configuration.

Note that superpages is not on by default in 7 the way it is in 8.  BTW, can
you get more details from your actual crash dump?  I'm not sure if there's a
way you can either add some debug printfs or something else to determine what
the faulting address that results in the SIGBUS you are seeing?

--
John Baldwin