Using ZFS swap hangs my machine :(.

Josef Karthauser Josef.Karthauser at geomerics.com
Mon Mar 2 02:47:23 PST 2009

Is anyone successfully using ZFS swap under 7.1?

I've created a VZOL for my swap partition, and can read and write to it
ok using 'dd', but whenever the kernel uses it the machine hangs solid.
:/.

Is this a known problem, or do I have some local weirdness going on?

Joe

brahe# uname -a

FreeBSD brahe.geomerics.com 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #12: Tue Jan
13 15:40:45 GMT 2009
root at brahe.geomerics.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BRAHE  amd64

% zfs get all store/swap

brahe# zfs get all store/swap

NAME        PROPERTY          VALUE                  SOURCE

store/swap  type              volume                 -

store/swap  creation          Fri Apr 18  8:13 2008  -

store/swap  used              1.06G                  -

store/swap  available         634G                   -

store/swap  referenced        1.06G                  -

store/swap  compressratio     1.00x                  -

store/swap  reservation       6G                     local

store/swap  volsize           6G                     -

store/swap  volblocksize      8K                     -

store/swap  checksum          on                     default

store/swap  compression       off                    default

store/swap  readonly          off                    default

store/swap  shareiscsi        off                    default

store/swap  copies            1                      default

store/swap  org.freebsd:swap  on                     local