FreeBSD 7-STABLE and chflags on ZFS now(?) failing

Ralf S. Engelschall rse+freebsd-stable at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 29 10:10:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009, Henri Hennebert wrote:

> [...]
> >install -s -o root -g wheel -m 444   -fschg -S  libc.so.7 /lib
> >install: /lib/libc.so.7: chflags: Invalid argument
> >*** Error code 71
> [...]
> >1. I thought chflags support for ZFS was added already in the past.
> >   Can it be that just a _few_ chflags flags are supported? It looks
> >   like uchg works while the above schg fails.
> I believe that for schg `zfs get version <file_system_with /lib>`
> must be 3.
> To upgrade this: `zfs upgrade <file_system_with /lib>`

Good catch! You're right. Although the kernel is the latest one (ZFSv13)
the pool itself was created a longer time ago and hence:

| # zfs get version zp1/root
| NAME      PROPERTY  VALUE     SOURCE
| zp1/root  version   1         -

> >2. Assuming that schg was never supported on ZFS by us, why did the
> >   upgrades in the past on this FreeBSD 7-STABLE box never failed until
> >   now? Why now the first time? I would have expected that it already
> >   failed from day zero with the above error.
>
> Just a try to this strange problem:
>
> `man install` say:
>
> By default, install preserves all file flags, with the exception of the
> ``nodump'' flag.
>
> With the previous version of zfs there was no flags and so no try to
> play with flags during update.

Hmmm... ok, this can be the problem. But if this is the case, we at
least should notice this problem as such as it will also bite others
with older ZFS pools.

Yours,

--
rse at FreeBSD.org                        Ralf S. Engelschall
FreeBSD.org/~rse                       rse at engelschall.com
FreeBSD committer                      www.engelschall.com