Zpool on raw disk and weird GEOM complaint

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Mon Jun 29 09:58:41 UTC 2009

Hi, all,

I have a system with 12 S-ATA disks attached that I set up
as a raidz2:

%zpool status zfs
  pool: zfs
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: scrub in progress for 0h5m, 7.56% done, 1h3m to go
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	zfs         ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz2    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da0     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da1     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da3     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da4     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da5     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da6     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da7     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da8     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da9     ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da10    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    da11    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

We are currently tweaking kernel memory a bit but the on disk
data and the hardware seem to be just fine.

7-STABLE, amd64, 4 GB of RAM.

A couple of days ago, at each boot we saw this error message:

GEOM: da0: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: da0: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.

There should not be any partition, MBR or GPT on the disks,
I created the zpool on the raw devices.

So I figure:

Somehow zfs wrote some data to da0 that somewhat resembles a
GPT partition table, so GEOM gets confused at boot time.

Question is: can somebody confirm my guess? If yes should I
just ignore the message, can it be disabled somehow (compile
kernel without GPT?) or should zpools be created on slices instead
of disks?

Thanks for any hints,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100