Open Vs Free BSD

Daniel Bolgheroni me at dbolgheroni.eng.br
Mon Jun 22 05:49:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Holger Kipp wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 09:47:35AM +0100, Michal wrote:
>
> For the masses:
>
> - NetBSD: Run on any hardware (including toasters)
> - OpenBSD: Be as secure as possible
> - FreeBSD: provide best system for x86-platforms

It's a mistake to make this association.

OpenBSD people chose "security" as an argument to describe what the OS
is. It's true and I believe it can attract more users, but on the other
side, people seem to think OpenBSD is ONLY used when you need security,
like a firewall, router, etc.

OpenBSD is a GENERIC OS which can be used to do _almost_ every task a
computer system is able to.

Teers,

--
Daniel Bolgheroni <me at dbolgheroni.eng.br>
FEI - Faculdade de Engenharia Industrial

ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
 against HTML e-mail   X
                      / \