panic on 6.4-R in ioapic_get_vector() during device probe

pluknet pluknet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 14:05:16 UTC 2009

2009/6/18 John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 8:13:31 am pluknet wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> This is on 6.4-RELEASE-p5
>>
>> Early in boot (probably due to network outage)::
>> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
>> Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
>> /boot/kernel/acpi.ko text*0x44f40 |
>> readin failed
>>
>> elf32*loadimage: read failed
>> GDB: no debug ports present
>>
>> and then..
>>

>> Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
>> CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5440  @ 2.83GHz (2826.26-MHz 686-class
> CPU)
>>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x1067a  Stepping = 10
>>
> Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,C
>> MOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>>
> Features2=0x40ce3bd<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,DCA
>> ,<b19>,<b26>>
>>   AMD Features=0x20000000<LM>
>>   AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
>>   Cores per package: 4
>> real memory  = 3220992000 (3071 MB)
>> avail memory = 3150835712 (3004 MB)
>> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
>>  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
>>  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
>>  cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  2
>>  cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  3
>>  cpu4 (AP): APIC ID:  4
>>  cpu5 (AP): APIC ID:  5
>>  cpu6 (AP): APIC ID:  6
>>  cpu7 (AP): APIC ID:  7
>> user VMEM accounting on
>> ioapic0: Assuming intbase of 0
>> MPTable: Ignoring interrupt entry for missing ioapic0
>> ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
>
> The 'ignoring interrupt entry' message is very odd.  Can you get output
> from 'mptable'?

I'm afraid that panic was only once and due to acpi.ko network load problem.
I can boot this box with acpi opted out explicitly  if it makes sense,
also in order to reproduce those conditions.

> Are you able to boot with ACPI enabled?

Of course. These boxes boot always fine with ACPI enabled.
Below is part of related dmesg (now from from 7.2) with ACPI enabled:

---
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
 cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  2
 cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  3
 cpu4 (AP): APIC ID:  4
 cpu5 (AP): APIC ID:  5
 cpu6 (AP): APIC ID:  6
 cpu7 (AP): APIC ID:  7
This module (opensolaris) contains code covered by the
Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)
see http://opensolaris.org/os/licensing/opensolaris_license/
ioapic0 <Version 2.0> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
---

> At this point I
> would not be surprised if the MP Table was just flat wrong on modern machines
> as it seems many BIOS vendors do not test it anymore but only test the ACPI
> tables.
>:

# mptable

MPTable

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     EBDA
  physical address:             0x0009ad40
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0xc9
  mode:                         Virtual Wire

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x0009be10
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            716
  version:                      1.4
  checksum:                     0xd6
  OEM ID:                       'IBM ENSW'
  Product ID:                   'x3650 SMP   '
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  72
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        328
  extended table checksum:      217

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 0       0x14    BSP, usable     6       7       10      0x0301
                 1       0x14    AP, usable      6       7       10      0x0301
                 2       0x14    AP, usable      6       7       10      0x0301
                 3       0x14    AP, usable      6       7       10      0x0301
                 4       0x14    AP, usable      6       7       10      0x0301
                 5       0x14    AP, usable      6       7       10      0x0301
                 6       0x14    AP, usable      6       7       10      0x0301
                 7       0x14    AP, usable      6       7       10      0x0301
--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 0       PCI
                 1       PCI
                 2       PCI
                 3       PCI
                 4       PCI
                 5       PCI
                 6       PCI
                 7       PCI
                 8       PCI
                 9       PCI
                10       PCI
                11       PCI
                12       PCI
                13       PCI
                14       PCI
                15       PCI
                16       PCI
                17       PCI
                18       PCI
                19       PCI
                20       PCI
                21       PCI
                22       PCI
                23       PCI
                24       PCI
                25       PCI
                26       PCI
                27       PCI
                28       PCI
                29       PCI
                30       PCI
                31       PCI
                32       PCI
                33       PCI
                34       PCI
                35       PCI
                36       PCI
                37       PCI
                38       ISA
--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                14       0x20    usable          0xfec00000
--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                INT      conforms    conforms       38     1         14    1
                INT      conforms    conforms       38     0         14    2
                INT      conforms    conforms       38     3         14    3
                INT      conforms    conforms       38     6         14    6
                INT     active-hi        edge       38     8         14    8
                INT      conforms    conforms       38     9         14    9
                INT      conforms    conforms       38    12         14   12
                INT      conforms    conforms       38    13         14   13
                INT      conforms    conforms       38    14         14   14
                INT      conforms    conforms       38    15         14   15
                INT      conforms    conforms        0   8:A         14   16
                INT      conforms    conforms        0  29:A         14   23
                INT      conforms    conforms        0  29:B         14   22
                INT      conforms    conforms        0  29:C         14   23
                INT      conforms    conforms        0  29:D         14   22
                INT      conforms    conforms        0  29:A         14   23
                INT      conforms    conforms        0  31:B         14   20
                INT      conforms    conforms        1   6:A         14   22
                INT      conforms    conforms        3   0:A         14   16
                INT      conforms    conforms        4   0:A         14   17
                INT      conforms    conforms        6   0:A         14   17
                INT      conforms    conforms       27   1:A          0    2
--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
                NMI      conforms    conforms       38     0        255    1

MP Config Extended Table Entries:

--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xd4000
 address range: 0xc000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xde000000
 address range: 0x2000000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: prefetch address
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xcd000000
 address range: 0x3000000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: memory address
 address base: 0xc8000000
 address range: 0x2000000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: prefetch address
 address base: 0xc7f00000
 address range: 0x100000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x3b0
 address range: 0xc
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x3bc
 address range: 0x4
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x3c0
 address range: 0x20
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x3e0
 address range: 0x2c20
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x3000
 address range: 0x2000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0xff00
 address range: 0x100
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x6000
 address range: 0xa000
--
System Address Space
 bus ID: 0 address type: I/O address
 address base: 0x5000
 address range: 0x1000
--
Bus Heirarchy
 bus ID: 38 bus info: 0x01 parent bus ID: 0