reecommendations for an 'appliance" platform ?

Robert Klein RoKlein at roklein.de
Sun Jun 14 10:48:12 UTC 2009

  Bruce Simpson <bms at incunabulum.net> wrote:
> Pete French wrote:
>> Any suggestions, or words of wisdom from anyone who has done someething
>> similar themselevs in the past ?
>
> The ASUS EeePC 701 is cheap as chips and can easily be mass-flashed with
> NanoBSD images from a USB dongle.

However, the EeePC 701's CPU (Celeron M ULV 353) has no AMD64.

Same for the Atom N-series (N270, N280) and Z-series (Z5xx).  The only
AMD64-Atoms are the 230, the 330.

The Eee-Box mentioned elsewhere inthe thread uses the N270 CPU as has the
Epia in your original post.  However, if you like the rest of the hardware
you might ook at other nettops, e.g. the Acer Aspire Revo (Atom 230,
2GB Ram, 160 GB hdd) for around 300 euros (including, unfortunately, a
windows vista license).

Dunno if the system can boot from USB or SD card....

Anyway, check if the ethernet hw works with freebsd. I had no fun with some
of the Atom netbooks.

Cheers
Robert