Something since June 8th clobbers my disk...

Dan Allen danallen46 at airwired.net
Sat Jun 13 16:57:00 UTC 2009

On 12 Jun 2009, at 9:50 PM, Yuri Pankov wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 08:24:42PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>> 	Whew!! i'm giving thanks to every saint, god and daemon known.  i
>> 	rebuilt my kernel in very recent days (7.2) on my ancient
>> 	500MHz kayak, but did not go further.  So still runing on the 7.0
>> 	kernel.
>>
>> 	Will someone send up a flare when it's *safe*?
>>

> How do you know it isn't safe? Noone hasn't provided any useful info
> (debug, revisions where it works and where it doesn't).

Well, I do not think it is safe at all either.  I must have some
strange configuration that others do not have or there would be plenty
of people with their drives getting wiped out.

I tried removing the zfsboot and gptzfsboot items from /usr/src/sys/
boot/i386/Makefile and then rebuild the boot area but it once again
killed things.

My hunch is that the boot loader is getting stuck on something strange
about my system.

Here is my drive config, and perhaps this will cause a light bulb to
go on for someone:

Toshiba U205, Intel 1.83GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 1 120GB hard drive with
two partitions.

The first partition is 92161 MB for Windows XP Pro.  I rarely use it.
The second partition is 22309 MB for FreeBSD.  It has 3 slices:

The first slice /dev/ad0s2a is the main 22 GB file system.
It has the / root mount point and has soft updates turned on.

The second slice /dev/ad0s2b is a 1GB SWAP partition.

The third slice /dev/ad0s2c is unused.

I will continue to test.  I am TRYING to narrow it down, it just takes
forever.

Dan