Something since June 8th clobbers my disk...

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Jun 13 03:38:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 08:45:01PM -0600, Dan Allen wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2009, at 6:32 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
>
> >On Thursday 11 June 2009 9:33:24 pm Dan Allen wrote:
> >>Isn't boot part of the kernel build?  Why would installing the kernel
> >>not cause this problem?
> >
> >No, sys/boot is built during world.  Likely some change in /boot/
> >loader is
> >causing your problem.  Can you narrow it down to a specific change
> >under
> >sys/boot?
>
> Ok.  I updated just the one file since it appeared like one of the few
> changed files
>
> 	/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/biosdisk.c
>
> and rebuilt things with
>
> 	cd /usr/src/sys/boot; make cleandir obj depend all install
>
> and it was okay.  No problems.
>
> Then I did sync'd all of the changed files for /usr/src/sys/boot and
> my machine is hung again at boot, so we have narrowed it down to
> somewhere in /usr/src/sys/boot/.
>
> Time to reinstall from a DVD and try it with finer granularity.  This
> will take some time.
>
> There appears to be only four files that have changed in /usr/src/sys/
> boot from June 8th (all working fine) to June 11th (dead in the
> water).  They are:
>
> /usr/src/sys/boot/Makefile
> /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/Makefile
> /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/biosdisk.c
> /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/Makefile
>
> I have ruled out bisodisk.c, as stated above.
>
> That means that the Makefiles are building new stuff that previously
> was not built, namely
>
> 	zfsboot gptzfsboot
>
> I believe it has to do with that.  More help is needed!  I am tired of
> reinstalling the OS, but I am much more paranoid about updating my
> other machine in any way now, as it could erase that whole machine.  I
> can't believe I am the only one seeing this...
>
> Dan

	Whew!! i'm giving thanks to every saint, god and daemon known.  i
	rebuilt my kernel in very recent days (7.2) on my ancient
	500MHz kayak, but did not go further.  So still runing on the 7.0
	kernel.

	Will someone send up a flare when it's *safe*?

	gary

       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php
    The 4.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php