Something since June 8th clobbers my disk...

Dan Allen danallen46 at airwired.net
Sat Jun 13 02:45:12 UTC 2009

On 12 Jun 2009, at 6:32 AM, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Thursday 11 June 2009 9:33:24 pm Dan Allen wrote:
>> Isn't boot part of the kernel build?  Why would installing the kernel
>> not cause this problem?
>
> No, sys/boot is built during world.  Likely some change in /boot/
> loader is
> causing your problem.  Can you narrow it down to a specific change
> under
> sys/boot?

Ok.  I updated just the one file since it appeared like one of the few
changed files

	/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/biosdisk.c

and rebuilt things with

	cd /usr/src/sys/boot; make cleandir obj depend all install

and it was okay.  No problems.

Then I did sync'd all of the changed files for /usr/src/sys/boot and
my machine is hung again at boot, so we have narrowed it down to
somewhere in /usr/src/sys/boot/.

Time to reinstall from a DVD and try it with finer granularity.  This
will take some time.

There appears to be only four files that have changed in /usr/src/sys/
boot from June 8th (all working fine) to June 11th (dead in the
water).  They are:

/usr/src/sys/boot/Makefile
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/Makefile
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/biosdisk.c
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/Makefile

I have ruled out bisodisk.c, as stated above.

That means that the Makefiles are building new stuff that previously
was not built, namely

	zfsboot gptzfsboot

I believe it has to do with that.  More help is needed!  I am tired of
reinstalling the OS, but I am much more paranoid about updating my
other machine in any way now, as it could erase that whole machine.  I
can't believe I am the only one seeing this...

Dan