Xorg keyboard and mouse hung

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Wed Jun 10 17:09:06 UTC 2009

--On Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:02:39 -0500 Ben Stuyts <ben at altesco.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've upgrade two FreeBSD 7-stable workstations to the latest kernel/
> world of today, and now the mouse and keyboard don't react anymore in
> the Xorg / KDE login window. Mouse doesn't move, keyboard characters
> don't appear in the login prompt. I can still switch back with ctl-alt-
> F1 to a console login, and there both the keyboard and mouse still work.
>
> I have attached dmesg.boot and Xorg.0.log. I'm not using a xorg.conf
> as the default settings used to work fine.
>
> Any ideas?

Sure.  In your Xorg.0.log file:

"(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules"
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
	If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput"

add dbus_enable="YES" and hald_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.  Then start them
both manually (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald start and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus
start).  Then restart X (Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc)

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst