Bug between DRM, MSI, or somewhere, re7-stable amd64

Pete Carah pete at altadena.net
Tue Jun 9 02:16:04 UTC 2009

I updated my recently acquired core-2 duo laptop to 7-stable amd64 (I
had been running 7-stable i386 with few problems) and have acquired an
apparent irq problem.

Fortunately in debugging a linux shared-interrupt problem about a month
ago I learned that the X server will happily accept mouse motion as if
it was a display interrupt, so at least with some inconvenience I can
read the screen...  (the keyboard isn't so obliging)
Ours does this too...

/usr/src was picked up via svn on last Saturday morning EDT, ports via
csup about the same time.  I have no idea if this bug is in the intel
driver, drm, or the core msi code...  There are 2 peripherals that dmesg
says uses msi - re0 (which doesn't get a kernel thread indicated in ps
for either the stated irq (257) or re0) and drm0/vgapci0 (which
indicates irq256 in systat and ps).  As I said, this worked properly
with earlier source (about a week) in i386 mode.  I've used both G45 and
re controllers in (f10) linux msi mode with no problems in both 32 and
64-bit.  Fortunately this laptop now has enough disk to triple-boot so
at least something works...

I am using svn instead of csup because I am trying (haven't gotten time
yet either :-) to port Sam's ath 92xx code to -stable and handling code
porting is much easier that way.

-- Pete