/boot/loader and RELENG_7 (WAS: gptzfsboot and RELENG_7)

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Mon Jun 8 18:12:21 UTC 2009

Dan Naumov wrote:
> Ah, so there is still a (small) piece of 8-CURRENT needed to have a
> working 7-STABLE zfs boot configuration? I am getting really confused
> now, if I add LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=yes to my /etc/make.conf, the
> RELENG_7 system will be built with zfs boot support, but I still need
> the actual /boot/loader from 8-CURRENT? Is that getting MFC'ed into
> into RELENG_7 anytime soon?
>
> Where are all make.conf options documented by the way? Neither
> /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf nor "man make.conf" make any
> reference to the LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT option.
>
> - Dan Naumov
>

> ZFS booting without partitions

See the last emails in the thread "ZFS booting without partitions", it
has a patch
which makes the -stable loader work (some changes that didn't get merged to
-stable).  I think only the change from 8 to 64 is all thats needed but
I applied the
whole patch when I tested it.  Also, yes LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT causes
gptzfsboot to be compiled as well as add ZFS support to loader (and
other stuff).
It may not have been documented (I didn't check).