kmem map too small panic after updating to STABLE-7 r192996

Angelo Turetta aturetta at commit.it
Thu Jun 4 18:28:46 UTC 2009

Tim Chase wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I decided to give the new zfs code a try and upgraded my stable-7 system
> and discovered a panic that I can reproduce at will.

I just had the same problem, and it turned out I was not diligent when I
first set my zfs pool up :)

To use vm.kmem_size="512M" you need to put

  options         KVA_PAGES=512

in your kernel. I remember trying the loader.conf settings on a GENERIC
kernel, found it worked and forgot to add KVA_PAGES. It seems that
recently the memory allocated by a ZFS kernel on startup has become
larger than the default KVA_PAGES in GENERIC.

Hope this helps,
Angelo Turetta