Do you use a value other than AUTO for network_interfaces?

Ruben van Staveren ruben at verweg.com
Tue Jun 2 20:30:52 UTC 2009

On 2 Jun 2009, at 21:20, Doug Barton wrote:

> Up till Sunday in 8-current, and for a long time in general
> network.subr (part of the rc.d system) has emitted a warning that
> values of network_interfaces other than AUTO are deprecated. I removed
> that warning in HEAD Sunday, and there is no a discussion about
> whether or not it should be put back, and whether or not there is any
> need for the user to specify the list of network interfaces at all.

Well, I do.

I only want to configure only the interfaces that are connected and
that I know about. especially in combination with IPv6 there is a nit
that you'll get autoconfiguration for all interfaces unless they are
all explicitly configured.

e.g. bge0 connected, bge1 not, v6 autoconf on the lan. if I don't do a
ipv6_ifconfig_bge1="down" and nail network_interfaces to bge0 bge1 lo0
only I'll get autoconfiguration of v6 where I don't want it to be.

Being a bit of my own devils advocate here, network_interfaces="AUTO"
is already true for ipv6. with network_interfaces="bge0 lo0"
network.subr nevertheless sees bge1, and no configuration and takes
the responsibility of starting ipv6 autoconfiguration for it.

> If you use a value of network_interfaces other than AUTO please speak
> up so that we can make an intelligent decision about this issue.

you want to have a system where one still can control which interfaces
are explicitly configured or skipped, with no side effects of default
actions