ZFS NAS configuration question

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 08:46:43 UTC 2009

USB root partition for booting off UFS is something I have considered. I
have looked around and it seems that all the "install FreeBSD onto USB
stick" guides seem to involve a lot of manual work from a fixit environment,
does sysinstall not recognise USB drives as a valid disk device to
parition/label/install FreeBSD on? If I do go with an USB boot/root, what
things I should absolutely keep on it and which are "safe" to move to a ZFS
pool? The idea is that in case my ZFS configuration goes bonkers for some
reason, I still have a fully workable singleuser configuration to boot from
for recovery.

I haven't really used USB flash for many years, but I remember when they
first started appearing on the shelves, they got well known for their
horrible reliability (stick would die within a year of use, etc). Have they
improved to the point of being good enough to host a root partition on,
without having to setup some crazy GEOM mirror setup using 2 of them?

- Dan Naumov