ZFS booting without partitions

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Mon Jun 1 17:21:29 UTC 2009

I'm thinking that too.  I spent some time taking stabs at figuring it
out yesterday but didn't get anywhere useful.  I did try compiling the
-current src/sys/boot tree on 7.2 after a couple header tweaks to make
it compile but the loader still didn't work.  The working loader is the
same file size as the broken loader unless it was compiled on i386 and
then it is ~30k bigger for some reason (it shrinks to the same size as
the rest if I force it to use the same 32bit compilation flags as used
on amd64).  Just mentioning this in case it saves someone else some
time.  I'm real pleased it works at all.