HEADS-UP: Shared Library Versions bumped...

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 29 16:14:02 UTC 2009

Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 July 2009 23:10:50 Doug Barton wrote:
>> Mel Flynn wrote:
>>> I wrapped portmaster, since -af has the same problem when something
>>> screws the build (mostly plist problems and $me wanting backup packages,
>>> but also classics like using sudo as PM_SU_CMD and trying to reinstall
>>> it).
>> I hate to tell you but portmaster already has the ability to restart
>> after an interrupted -af. See the man page regarding the -R option.
>
> Maybe that can be cleared up:
>  -R  restart an update, skipping ports already up to date. Used with -r
>                                                ^^^^^^^^^^
>     or -f options.
>
> Yes, I should've gathered what it meant when reading "or -f options", but I
> never read that far. Perhaps that could read "... already done in the previous
> run".

How about this: used with the -r or -f options to skip ports updated
on a previous run.

>> So
>> you can do this the first time: portmaster -Daf
>>
>> Then do this the second (or more) time: portmaster -DGRaf
>
> And with the above in EXAMPLES.

Good suggestion, thanks.

>> The one caveat is that you don't want to run any other portmaster
>> commands in between since it will remove all the flags when it exits
>> successfully.
>
> Gotcha. Is there a reason the flags are removed if the options are not "-r or
> -f"?

Yes, so we don't have stale flags sitting around forever to confuse
future runs.

Doug