SCSI device not created upon a CF card plug in

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Thu Jul 23 05:32:58 UTC 2009

Eugene Grosbein writes:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:13:38AM +0800, Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>
>> Hi Eugene, thanks for the reply. The issue we discussed is about internal
>> multi-card readers. For internal multi-card readers, the umassX created at
>> boot time. If there is media inside at boot time, the device node for
>> slices are also created. There is no issue about it. But the issue is after
>> boot up, later some time, if you plug in a media card, FreeBSD does not
>> generate any devd event. This needs to be fixed at the FreeBSD end,
>> appreciate if the FreeBSD community actively fix it soon.
>
> If there is no devd event really, you can setup cron job to poll
> your reader as a workaround. Or feel free to hack driver so it would
> generate events for devd :-)

cat /dev/devctl shows nothing get to devd on media insertion.

Poll via cron is not a solution. How often to poll? People expect immediate
access to the card once plug in.

At boot umassX, passX, daX are already setup for the reader. Once a card
(media) is plug in, we expect a devd notification as follows:
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=CREATE cdev=daXs1

Once the media is taken out, we expect a devd notification as follows:
!system=DEVFS subsystem=CDEV type=DESTROY cdev=daXs1

Where above X depends on which slot a card is plug in.

If you conversant in this area, could you help us to identify what is/are
the exact function/s in which program/s to look into identify the media
insertion activity, so that we can generate relevant devd event.

Regards
Sagara