7.2-release/amd64: panic, spin lock held too long

C. C. Tang hiyorin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 02:24:14 UTC 2009

Attilio Rao wrote:
> 2009/7/22 C. C. Tang <hiyorin at gmail.com>:
>>> Could that one (on i386) be related?
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/134584
>>>
>> I have no idea about it but I can tell the difference...
>> My machine panic randomly rather than on shutdown and I remembered that it
>> failed to write core dump. It also failed to reboot automatically..
>
> Is your problem on -CURRENT and amd64?
> At some point there has been a problem with PAT support (and
> tlb_shootdowns() could lead to a livelock hanging forever, leading to
> such a bug) but I expect it is fixed now.
> Can you try with a fresh new -CURRENT if any?

My problem is on i386 version of 7.2-RELEASE-p2 on Intel Atom 330 CPU.
And my system just panic randomly with "spin lock held too long".
It didn't panic at reboot or shutdown so I think it the problem is
somewhat different from that mentioned by Barbara's PR?

Anyway I disabled powerd and it seems become stable now.

And I am sorry that my system has been put into service so it would be
hard for me to switch to -CURRENT...  :(

Regards,
C.C.