SCSI device not created upon a CF card plug in

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Wed Jul 22 07:11:01 UTC 2009

Milan Obuch writes:

> On Wednesday 22 July 2009 04:20:27 Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>> Hi FreeBSD community
>>
>> The SCSI device (eg. da1s1) is not created automatically upon a CF card
>> plug in on an USB multi-card reader on FreeBSD 7.2 (i386) but the SCSI
>> device (eg. da1s1) is created automatically if I reboot the computer while
>> the CF card is plug in.
>>
>> Here are detail:
>> $ camcontrol devlist
>> <GENERIC USB Storage-SMC 010D>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
>> <GENERIC USB Storage-CFC 010D>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 1 (pass1,da1)
>> <GENERIC USB Storage-MMC 010D>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 2 (pass2,da2)
>> <GENERIC USB Storage-MSC 010D>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 3 (pass3,da3)
>>
>> After the CF card is plugged in:
>> $ ls -l /dev/ | grep da
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 105 Jul 22 13:18 da0
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 106 Jul 22 13:18 da1
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 107 Jul 22 13:18 da2
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 108 Jul 22 13:18 da3
>>
>> After reboot while the CF card is plugged in:
>> $ ls -l /dev/ | grep da
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 105 Jul 22 13:24 da0
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 106 Jul 22 13:24 da1
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 110 Jul 22 13:24 da1s1
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 107 Jul 22 13:24 da2
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 108 Jul 22 13:24 da3
>>
>> My questions in this regards are:
>> 1. Is this an error/bug in FreeBSD 7.2?
>>

> This is known limitation of, I think, GEOM stack.
>
>> 2. Or, does it require some configuration tweak?
>>

> After plugging in your CF card, issue
>
> true > /dev/da1
>
> command. After writing zero bytes (nothing gets actually written into your
> media, thus it is not changed at all) GEOM reads some data from media and
> creates desired device(s).

Hi Milan, thanks for the reply.

Yep, your suggestion works but it simply unacceptable for end users. We are
the makers of the Tomahawk Desktop (http://www.tomahawkcomputers.com/).

Anybody in the FreeBSD community care to develop a patch to make it possible
to use multi-card readers under FreeBSD?

Best regards
Sagara