gstripe problem

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 17 10:20:30 UTC 2009

Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
> hail,
>
> I have a problem with gstripe on today stable. I created this stripe using a bit more old stable (two weeks tops) and it can't be read on old stable (from 30/12/2008). So I recreated in 8-BETA1 and I could mount and see files. When I tried again on 30/12/2008 stable and todays, on PII machine (i386):

So your problem is that:

a) you created a gstripe array on a recent STABLE (two weeks ago) and it
was fine
b) you tried to use it with an old STABLE (30.12.2008.) and it didn't work
c) you tried to use it with today's STABLE and it didn't work
d) it works with 8-BETA1

?

The only thing that comes to my mind is that during your tests you have
changed the stripe size, making the file system data unusable (and
unmountable).

> [root at xxx ~]# gstripe status
>           Name  Status  Components
> stripe/stripe0      UP  ad4s2
>                         ad6s2

> mount: /dev/stripe/stripe0 : Invalid argument
>
> on 8-BETA1 it works, but can't create stripe on it and use on this stable box though. the stripe already has files ! so anything weird could make me loose my data ...

Are you saying you won't use 8-BETA1 because you fear there may be
problems with it? If so, you shouldn't worry so much - 8-CURRENT is very
stable.