sshd GSSAPIAuthentication broken after 8.0-BETA1 upgrade

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Wed Jul 8 09:07:10 UTC 2009

I source upgraded a (test) server here (i386) from 7.2-RELEASE-p2 to
8.0-BETA1 this morning.  I use GSSAPI as the primary authentication
method for sshd on that server.  After the upgrade GSSAPI authentication
stopped working and I can't get enough information to figure out why.
Perhaps the newer version of Heimdal behaves differently?  Perhaps the
newer version of sshd behaves differently?

If I run sshd with debug "-ddd" I see the following:

debug1: attempt 1 failures 0
debug2: input_userauth_request: try method gssapi-with-mic
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 37
debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 38
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
debug3: monitor_read: checking request 37
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 38
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
Postponed gssapi-with-mic for john from 192.0.2.123 port 57225 ssh2
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 39
debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 40
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
debug3: monitor_read: checking request 39
debug1: Received some client credentials
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 40
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 43
debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 44
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
debug3: monitor_read: checking request 43
debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 44
debug3: mm_request_receive entering
GSSAPI MIC check failed

On the client side (with ssh -vvv) I see:

debug3: preferred gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_lookup gssapi-with-mic
debug3: remaining preferred: publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled gssapi-with-mic
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
debug2: we sent a gssapi-with-mic packet, wait for reply
debug1: Delegating credentials
debug1: Delegating credentials
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-with-mic,keyboard-interactive
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method

Does anybody know of changes between existing STABLE releases and 8.0
which would cause this behaviour - and how to accommodate it?  Do any
strange Kerberos things need to be done as part of the upgrade?

The client still happily authenticates via GSSAPI to sshd on our other
7.2-RELEASE servers.  Subsequent authentication methods succeed on the
8.0-BETA1 sshd server, it's just GSSAPI that isn't working.

Thanks.

--
John Marshall